29 March 2007

The Custodian of Wisdom

(This scene has a pretty elaborate setup, but all you need to know is that Pandora is running through the museum, and Simon is chasing after her... the sequence of panels begins with Pandora running down a corridor, and past a man holding a mop who looks like a janitor. The janitor begins to speak.)
Tiresias: "Greetings, child! I am Tiresias, the Custodian of Wisdom, fabled throughout the land for my unerring intellect and formidable janitorial skills!"
(Pandora continues to run down the corridor, ignoring Tiresias, and runs off-panel.)
Tiresias: "Wait, I wasn't finished!"
(Simon runs on panel.)
Simon: "Hi, did you see a girl-"
Tiresias: "Greetings, child! I am Tiresias, the all-knowing Custodian of Wisdom! There is no question I cannot answer! There is no riddle I cannot solve! There is no toilet I cannot unclog!"
Simon: "Nice to meet you. I was wondering, did you see-"
Tiresias: "I know the three secret words which, when uttered, would halt the flow of time itself! I have calculated the formula for turning lead into sheep! I have wrestled the Mop of Poseidon from the hands of gods and used it to clean the halls of Valhalla!"
Simon: "Nifty. Could you answer a question for me?"
Tiresias: "An amusing notion! Very well, child. I shall provide you with the answers to three questions. Choose them well."
Simon: "Okay. Did you see a girl run by here?"
Tiresias: "...Are you sure you want that to be your first question? You can ask about anything, you know. The meaning of life, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, stuff like that."
Simon: "No, that's my question."
Tiresias: "As you wish. In answer to your question, I did see a girl run past me right before you."
Simon: "Thanks."
(Simon begins walking away.)
Tiresias: "...And your second question?"
Simon: "That's all I wanted to know. Thank you."
Tiresias: "Very well. We shall cross paths again. Perhaps by then, you will have thought of more questions. Perhaps you might make them a tad more profound."
(Simon walks off.)

No comments: